4.06.2009

another antagonizing assignment adjourned again

I procrasinate on things. Today I began to receive sympathy from an empathetic individual for a 20-25 pager that was due 1.5 weeks ago. Initially, I was thrilled for the encouragement/ compassion... and then I became extremely disgruntled that I should be receiving empathy for something that was so deliberately my fault.
Lately I've been pretty discouraged by my schoolwork. Incessantly, I am asked to do assignments such as:
* read this book: "Mothering Inner City Children" and write a report
* read this chapter on gerontology, and finalize the evening by telling me in a 3 pages how you feel about old age...
* write a paper on what it would be like to be a foster child. "try to be empathetic, now, ladies."
* read this, write that... then tell me how you feel!

I feel as though I am not learning the benefits, negatives, intricacies, and horrors of the systems which social work is based on. Yes- I care about people and I want to be a social worker(usually). But everything does not revolve around how people feel- how I feel!

I don't know why I am so perturbed by these assignments lately. I just don't really want to know what it would be like to mother inner city children. And there are a lot of things I feel about old age. But I want to read and write about how government policies effect individuals, how the government needs to change, ways which we can effectivley lobby the government, immigration, people who are neither welcome in their homeland country nor any other place, how to empower people who are mundanely exposed to toxic chemicals, figure out why the heck we have refrained from getting universal healthcare, the depths of globalization and its effects... oh, there is so much! hum.
Am I apathetic? I would harld say that... well, it depends what we're talking about.
Did I choose the wrong major?

On the flip side, my Spanish classes have been extremely intriguing lately.

3 comments:

Trevor M said...

:)

The prodigal daughter returns to the joy of Monday? I hope so. I'll grab a fattened calf just in case. You know the address.

...and I must not look hard enough for blogs, how did I miss this? Thanks for stumbling upon mine.

The comment verification is lazessem. That's a pretty sweet (made-up) word!

Mela said...

Maybe you weren't seeking advice, but can I offer a suggestion anyway? My sister Yolanda often approaches her profs with alternative assignments when she doesn't like the one given. Maybe you could try that. Talk to your profs and let them know "how you feel" about their assignments (in a nice way of course) and give a suggestion for a paper you'd rather write and write that.

Carolyn said...

just try to make it through till the end of the year! almost there!