My days in Sioux Center have come to a close (at least for a while). With a shirt on my back and some pennies to my name, I departed the beloved land and headed east. On Sunday, I took a bus from Minneapolis to get here. I stood in line at the bus stop at 11:20 on Sunday morning, hoping they would accept my two pieces of baggage. When I handed the conductor my ticket, he checked it over for quite some time before admitting that the reservation didn't match up because the date my ticket was scheduled for was August 22. Bewildered, I stepped aside so others could continue. I turned to Ross and asked, "Today isn't the 22nd?" After some deliberation, we realized the date was August 29. I bought my ticket for a week beforehand! I guess my internal calendar isn't ticking as quickly as everyone else's. Megabus was generous and offered me a free seat later on that day, and I arrived in Chicago only having spent the original $34 I had planned.
Today was my first day of my semester-long internship at Casa Central La Posada in Chicago. This morning I joined the masses on public transit while autumnal rains caused our hair to flatten and our clothes to drape. I will be working at a transitional housing facility for homeless (mostly Hispanic) families for the next few months in a little Puerto Rican/ Mexican neighborhood known as Humboldt Park. I'm looking forward to a semester of meeting people without homes and undocumented citizens, eating burritos for lunch, and sleeping in the pantry of my sister Jen's apartment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hooray! Welcome to Chicago! Not that I'm actually there to welcome you...but I'll be sleeping on Tricia and Jen's floor with you in spirit. I hope Chloe doesn't wake you up in the morning like she did to us...her little paws scraping the wood floor and trying to leap onto the air mattress...not the best wake-up call.
Have fun and POST MORE OFTEN!!!! :)
I hope you continue to update about your semester there! Sounds like an adventure. :)
Post a Comment