3.05.2008

attention spans and panic attacks

Environmental Studies is a class that can be compared to no other. The content is different... yes. Moreover, though, the classmates which surround me while i learn about wind turbines in Japan and how many years we have left until we run out of our current stock of resources are absolutely fascinating. Today, at approximately 9:32 a.m., my fellow classmate sitting in the seat just next to me let his emotions reach their climax. The rising action had been building up for about the entire semester, I think, and he finally cannonballed off a cliff this morning.
I am fortunate for being a witness.

here is the timeline:
9:32 I was sitting calmly at his side doing other homework, and he suddenly smacked his thigh with his open palm. It was positively absurd. I looked at him, thinking that perhaps he had a leg cramp or growing pains or just a really bad itch. Well, he proceeded to smack his thigh loudly many more times. I tried not to giggle, but something about his stern eyes, smushed lips and blazing nostrils made me chuckle like an immature kid. It wasn't funny- it really shouldn't have been.
Anyhow, I muffled my immaturity and continued studying for linguistics as he continued his frenzied state.
the guy two rows in front of me has the shiniest, blackest hair I have ever seen. The light shines upon his collicks every day and it fascinated me that his hair is nicer than any of the girls in the class. it is down to his shoulders now, too. I have decided that he most likely shampoos/showers way more often than I do. Hum. I have been defeated in that area by a man. ouch, i guess.

9:37 back to the guy next to me: he was now tapping his feet violently up and down. he incessantly turned around and looked at the clock. he was very clean cut, but i have concluded that he is OCD about too many things. His notes are always perfectly jotted upon his fresh, uncreased paper and the black lead glides form perfect little columns down his notebook. perfectionism.

the girl who sits directly infornt of me has the littlest neck I have ever seen on an adult. I often have this unquenchable urge to wrap my hands around it and just see exactly how big the circumfrence is.

9:41 neighbor dude had begun smacking his leg again, and i was perplexed. this was no normal volume or pressure of tappage, however. This was hardcore hitting. i was actually concerned and scooted to the opposite edge of my chair to give him some space. he was drawing quite a bit of attention to himself, but i don't think he minded or noticed.

Prof. Timmer was looking at him now, too.
Suddenly, he stopped the leg smackage and began to march his feet up and down on the carpeted floor on which I had spilled my coffee twice already this semester.
i have concluded that he was throwing a panic attack.

Can't we all relate, though? Sitting in class or in some other place we can't leave and suddenly get the urge to sing/run/box/climb rocks/whistle/sleep/snow ski.

is it humane to sit all day in six classes? sometimes i get crazy rushes of claustrophobia- I will admit that. Sometimes, it is almost adult attention disorder or restless leg syndrome or something. Once, i wanted to research ADD because i noticed symptoms in myself. In the end, i got distracted and researched Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

ha! i love the last sentance... clever.

maybe you should beat him to the punch next week and smack his leg before he gets a chance. perhaps it'd help...

Renae said...

I agree with Jer--wonderful way to end a beautiful blog.
I believe we all have a bit of ADD... I certainly believe I do.